Thursday, June 21, 2012

An Experience of the Senses


I haven't been quilting very long, about 12 years in all. Though I haven't had much time for the hobbie in many months, I can still experience all the ways quilting has stimulated my senses. In quilting circles we joke about fondling the fabric, but who can pick out the perfect cloth without touching it to capture all of the textures? The visual aspect of choosing the perfect pattern is probably quite obvious. Less obvious might be the smell of the fabric as I press it, and the heat that comes off as the wrinkles disappear. And lets not forget the auditory nerve... the buzz of the machine as I stitch yards and yards of fabric is so relaxing. Until I get more time to sew, I will continue to softly play these recordings into my imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment