Sunday, June 24, 2012

Shine your Light!


 In the quilting world, color is important. Perhaps more important is color value. We sort our fabric and scraps by dark, medium and light. If the contrast isn’t right, the design of the blocks will not come through, medium values cannot overcome the dark and the results can be disappointing. On the other hand, mix in a healthy portion of light fabrics and wow! The results are striking! “The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.” John 1:5,

Today I learned something new about my darkness. Darkness is a part of life, this is nothing new. When darkness and decay are epidemic in my life, I may not be shining my light. Christ said “You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead, they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.” Matthew 5:13-15.

This light need not be profound. It starts with the person right in front of me. Is there a friend or family member in despair? They need my light. Is there an injustice done to someone in the workplace? My light is needed there too.

In the midst of darkness it’s so easy to want to run the other way or to resent the work in front of me, but where there is darkness, Christ calls ME to be the light. “In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your father in heaven.” Matthew 5:16.

Amen!!

2 comments:

  1. Your light is oh so bright!

    This has been my new favorite quilt since I first peaked at it in the sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy -
    Your wonderful nature lets your light shine! You are a blessing to all that know you.
    Tina

    ReplyDelete